General Academic Information / Renseignements académique généraux

General Academic Information

Academic Sessions

The academic year is divided into two "sessions": the fall/winter session and the summer session. The fall/winter session normally begins in September and ends in April or May. Within the fall/winter session there are two "terms": the fall term, that begins in September and ends in December and the winter term that begins in January and ends in April or May. The fall and winter terms last for approximately 12 weeks each and the fall/winter session lasts about 24 weeks.

The summer session normally begins in May and is normally completed in August. This session is comprised of numerous terms ranging in varying lengths of instructional time from three to 12 weeks. Information on sessional/term dates can be found on the Registrar's Office website (

Classification of Students

For general purposes, a student is deemed by the University to be full-time if they take the equivalent of 18 credits or more in a given two-term session. For further information, contact Registrarial Services.

Course Load

Course load refers to the number of registered course credits for an academic session.

For undergraduate students, a 100 per cent course load in the Fall/Winter session is 15 credits in each term. Note: This is not necessarily equivalent to registering for 30 total credits in the Fall/Winter session unless exactly half of your registered credits are in each term.

You are considered a full-time student if you are registered in at least 60 per cent of a full course load (at least 9 credits in each term).

You are considered a part-time student if you are registered in less than 59 per cent of a full course load (more than 1 but less than 9 credits in each term).

If you are a student with a permanent disability:

  • you are considered a full-time student if you are registered in at least 40 per cent of a full course load (6 or more credits in each term).
  • you are considered a part-time student if you are registered in 20 to 39 per cent of a full course load (more than 3 but less than 6 credits in each term).

Registered credits for full-year (for example: Term Y) courses are split evenly into the fall and winter terms. For example: if you are registered in one Term Y course worth six credits, then assign three credits from that Term Y course to your fall term course load and the other three credits to your winter term course load.

For information on how course loads affect OSAP aid eligibility, please visit:

Course Numbering

Courses listed in this publication have the form: AP/EN 1000 6.00 which contains the following key parts: AP = the designation of the Faculty offering the course (in this case, the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies); EN = the prefix of the teaching unit offering the course (in this case, English); 1000 = the number of the course, the first digit of which identifies the level of the course; and 6.00 = the suffix indicating the credit value of the course.

Credit Value of Courses

The Faculties ( at York University may offer courses with varying credit value. Each course will have a suffix identifying the credit value for that particular course. For example, AP/EN 1000 6.00 has the suffix "6.00", signifying that the course carries a credit value of six. The credit value normally correlates to the length of the course and the number of hours the course meets per week; however, this may vary among courses and Faculties. A course with a "3.00" suffix would meet three hours per week for one term while a "6.00" suffix would normally meet for three hours per week for the session (two terms).

The York Courses website ( lists the courses being offered as well as the terms, days of the week, time and location of each course.

Cross-listed Courses

As has been noted, the prefix of a course indicates the unit or program which offers the course. Many courses are "cross-listed": that is, they are offered jointly by two or more teaching units such as departments or divisions. In some cases, courses are cross-listed between units in two different Faculties. Cross-listed courses may not be "double-counted" in order to fulfill degree requirements; e.g. if AP/HUMA 4220 6.00 is cross-listed with HH/HIST 4800 6.00, it may be counted as a humanities course or a psychology course, but not as both.

Overlapping Courses

Some courses overlap significantly with other courses in terms of content and approach. There are two categories of overlap: course substitutions and course credit exclusions.

Course substitutions: These are pairs of courses which are similar enough in content that they can replace each other in order to fulfill program requirements. Note that only one of the pair can be taken for degree credit. Course substitutions are identified in the Programs of Study section of the Undergraduate Calendar.

Course credit exclusions: These are pairs of courses which may not both be taken for degree credit since their content overlaps significantly. If degree requirements specify that one of the pair is required to fulfill a program requirement, you may not enrol in the other - it cannot be used to fulfill degree requirements. Course credit exclusions are listed in the course descriptions found online on the Courses website or in the Courses of Instruction section of the Undergraduate Calendar.

Year-of-Study Equivalents

A student's progress towards a degree is measured in terms of credits passed rather than years of study completed. Where it is necessary or helpful to equate credits passed with years of study, the following table may be used:

Credits Completed Year Equivalent
fewer than 24 credits earned 1
24 credits to less than 54 credits earned 2
54 credits to less than 84 credits earned 3
84 credits or more 4*

*References to year 4 apply to students in Honours programs only. Education courses taken by students coregistered in the Faculty of Education are not included in an academic Faculty's (e.g. Liberal Arts and Professional Studies, Glendon, etc.) year-of-study equivalents.

Renseignements académique généraux

Sessions universitaires

L'année universitaire comprend deux « sessions » : La session d'automne-hiver et la session d'été. La session d'automne/hiver commence habituellement en septembre et se termine en avril ou mai. La session d'automne-hiver se divise en deux « trimestres », le trimestre d'automne qui commence en septembre et se termine en décembre, et le trimestre d'hiver qui commence en janvier et se termine en avril ou mai. Les trimestres d'automne et d'hiver comprennent en général 12 semaines chacun et la session d'automne-hiver environ 24 semaines.

Habituellement, la session d'été commence en mai et se termine en août. Cette session comprend différents « trimestres » qui durent de trois à douze semaines de cours. On trouvera tous les renseignements concernant les dates de sessions et de trimestres sur le site Bureau du registraire  (

Classification des étudiants

D'un point de vue général, les étudiants sont considérés par l'Université comme étudiants à temps plein s'ils sont inscrits à l'équivalent d'au moins trois cours (18 crédits) dans une session de deux trimestres. Pour plus de précision, consultez le Service registrariat.

Charge de cours

La charge de cours fait référence au nombre total de crédits correspondant aux cours que vous suivez durant une session universitaire.

Au premier cycle, une charge de cours de 100 pour cent à la session automne/hiver correspond à 15 crédits par trimestre. Remarque : Il ne suffit pas de s’inscrire à un total de 30 crédits pour la session automne/hiver, encore faut-il que chaque trimestre comprenne exactement 15 crédits.

Votre statut sera considéré à temps plein si vous prenez au moins 60 pour cent d’une charge de cours complète (soit un minimum de neuf crédits par trimestre).

Votre statut sera considéré à temps partiel si vous prenez moins de 59 pour cent d’une charge de cours complète (plus qu’un crédit, mais moins de neuf crédits par trimestre).

Si vous souffrez d’un handicap permanent :

  • le statut temps plein vous est octroyé si vous prenez au moins 40 pour cent d’une charge de cours complète (soit 6 crédits ou plus par trimestre)
  • le statut temps partiel vous est octroyé si votre inscription équivaut à entre 20 et 39 pour cent d’une charge de cours complète (plus de 3 mais moins de 6 crédits par trimestre).

Les crédits correspondant aux cours pour une année complète (le trimestre indique alors Y) sont répartis également entre les trimestres d'automne et d'hiver. Par exemple, si vous êtes inscrit à un cours de trimestre Y valant six crédits, vous devez attribuer trois crédits de ce cours à votre charge de cours du trimestre d'automne et les trois crédits restants à votre charge de cours du trimestre d'hiver.

Pour savoir comment votre charge de cours affecte votre admissibilité aux aides du RAFEO, veuillez consulter :

Numérotation des cours

Les cours décrits dans cet annuaire se présentent sous cette forme : GL/SOCI 2510 6.00 et se décomposent ainsi : GL désigne la faculté qui offre le cours (dans ce cas, le collège universitaire Glendon); SOCI désigne le département qui offre le cours (dans ce cas, le département de sociologie); 2510 est le numéro du cours. Le premier chiffre identifie le niveau du cours (dans ce cas, cours de deuxième année); et le suffixe 6.00 donne la valeur en crédits du cours.

Valeur en crédits des cours

Les facultés ( de York offrent des cours dont la valeur en crédits est variable. Chaque cours est désigné avec un suffixe qui en indique la valeur en crédits. Ainsi le cours GL/SOCI 2510 6.00 porte le suffixe « 6.00 », ce qui indique que le cours vaut six crédits. La valeur en crédits est en général liée à la durée totale du cours et au nombre d'heures de classe par semaine, ce qui peut varier entre les cours et les facultés. Les cours de trois crédits, désignés par le suffixe « 3.00 » ont en général trois heures de cours par semaine durant un trimestre. Les cours de six crédits, désignés par le suffixe « 6.00 », ont en général trois heures de cours par semaine durant deux trimestres.

Le site des cours de York ( donne la liste des cours offerts, le trimestre, le jour de semaine, l'heure et la classe.

Cours interdépartementaux

Comme on l'a vu, le préfixe d'un cours désigne l'unité ou le programme qui offre le cours. De nombreux cours sont « interdépartementaux », c'est-à-dire qu'ils sont offerts conjointement par au moins deux unités d'enseignement (départements ou programmes). Dans certains cas, des cours peuvent être offerts conjointement par deux unités appartenant à deux facultés différentes. Les cours interdépartementaux ne peuvent pas être utilisés deux fois pour satisfaire à des exigences différentes. Ainsi, si AP/HUMA 4220 6.00 est jumelé à HP/HIST 4800 6.00, il peut compter comme un cours d'humanités ou de psychologie, mais pas pour les deux à la fois.

Cours se chevauchant

Dans certains cours, le contenu et la pédagogie chevauchent de façon importante le contenu et la pédagogie d'autres cours. Il y a deux catégories de chevauchement : les cours de substitution et les cours non créditables.

Cours de substitution : Il s'agit de cours appariés dont le contenu est suffisamment semblable pour que les cours soient substitués un à l'autre en vue de satisfaire aux exigences du programme. Il importe de noter que seulement un des cours appariés peut être crédité. Les cours de substitution sont indiqués à la section des Programmes d'études de l'annuaire.

Cours non créditables : Il s'agit de cours appariés qui ne peuvent tous les deux être crédités puisque leur contenu est trop identique. Si les exigences du diplôme précisent qu'un des cours appariés est requis pour satisfaire aux exigences du programme, vous ne pouvez vous inscrire à l'autre cours, car il ne peut être utilisé pour satisfaire aux exigences du diplôme. Les cours non-créditables sont indiqués sur le site des cours de York ou dans la section des descriptions de cours de l'annuaire.

Équivalence d'année d'études

La progression des étudiants dans leurs études est déterminée par le nombre de crédits obtenus plutôt que par le nombre d'années passées aux études. Voici un tableau d'équivalence qui pourra aider à déterminer le niveau atteint par les étudiants dans leurs études :

Crédits obtenus Année d'études
Moins de 24 crédits obtenus 1re
De 24 crédits à moins de 54 2e
De 54 crédits à moins de 84 3e
84 crédits et plus 4e*

*La référence à la 4e année ne s'applique qu'aux étudiants des programmes de spécialisation. Les cours de pédagogie suivis par les étudiants de la Faculté des sciences de l'éducation ne sont pas inclus dans le compte des cours de la faculté mère (par ex. la Faculté des arts libéraux et études professionnelles, Collège universitaire Glendon, etc.) pour déterminer l'année d'études.