Eligibility for Transfer Credit / Obtention d'équivalences universitaires (crédits d'équivalence)

Eligibility for Transfer Credit

Applicants admitted to York University who present accredited previous postsecondary studies may be eligible for transfer credit. The determination of transfer credit eligibility will take into consideration the applicant's complete record of accredited postsecondary study. The amount of transfer credit granted depends on the type of institution attended, academic nature of the program completed, the number of courses completed, the grades received and the program to which the student has applied at York. Applicants admitted to York who were not in good standing at all previous postsecondary institutions may be eligible for transfer credit consideration and will be assessed on an individual basis.

York University will try to accommodate all applications prior to the start of an academic term. Postsecondary transfer students are strongly encouraged to apply and provide all relevant documents (transcripts, outlines, etc.) at least two months prior to the start of an academic term to ensure sufficient time for review and evaluation of their previous academic credentials. Applications may be considered after this two-month timeframe, but incomplete applications may result in assessments not being completed by the start of the academic term.

Course Description

Students who have previously completed any accredited postsecondary courses are required to provide institutionally prepared course outlines/syllabi, including an overall course description, detailed list of topics covered, a list of all required textbooks, grading practices, number of weeks in attendance (excluding examination period), and number of lecture, tutorial and laboratory hours.

York University reserves the right to require institutionally prepared course outlines/syllabi for any admitted program. For details, visit: futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/documents/course-outline-example. For all students, detailed descriptions of postsecondary work completed in the intended major are recommended to determine if any transfer credits can be applied to the major. Course descriptions/syllabi/course outlines must represent the timeframe within which the student took the course and be prepared by the former institution or be available on the institution's website. Submit your course descriptions via MyFile (yorku.ca/myfile). Documents that can be uploaded directly will be clearly identified with an "Upload" link. To login to MyFile, you will need your nine-digit reference number and your date of birth. If you have any issues uploading your course descriptions, please contact Student Support and Advising at 416-736-5000 for assistance.

Course descriptions not in English or French can be translated into English or French by the applicant and submitted with the institutionally prepared copy. Official English or French translations (by a certified translator) of original transcripts that are not in English or French are also required.

A separate application requesting transfer credit consideration is not required. The receipt of all transfer credit documentation and the evaluation of all possible transfer credits available at the time of admission must be completed within one academic term from the date of admission to the University. (Fall term and fall/winter session admission: completed by the end of the fall/winter session; winter term admission: completed by the end of the summer session; summer session admission: completed by the end of the fall term.)

Should a transfer student, having left York to pursue study at another postsecondary institution, decide to return to York, a new application to York may be required and all previous transfer credit will be reassessed. You may also be able to reactivate your record. Visit registrar.yorku.ca/enrol/reactivate for details.

Undergraduate University Degree Programs

Applicants admitted to York who have completed degree credit work toward baccalaureate degrees at an accredited postsecondary institution within Canada or outside of Canada may be considered for transfer credit. Transfer credit consideration is given to course work in which the grade achieved is that normally required of a continuing York student. Students are granted the maximum possible transfer credit; however, not all credits may contribute toward satisfying the degree requirements of their program. To be eligible to graduate, all students must meet the minimum residency and degree requirements of their program.

York University supports the Pan-Canadian Protocol on the transferability of university credits, and undertakes to ensure that all course work completed by transfer students during the first two years of university study in Canada (including the final year of studies leading to a diploma of college studies [DCS] in Quebec and the university transfer courses offered by community colleges and university colleges in British Columbia and Alberta) will be recognized and fully credited for the purposes of granting a degree provided that:

  1. the transfer student is deemed admissible and has been presented with an offer of admission;
  2. the transfer student has achieved a passing grade in his/her course(s) and has obtained grade levels that would normally be required of continuing students; and
  3. the credits earned are related to the program of study in which the transfer student will register, or the credits can be counted as electives for the program of study.

Note: If a student is granted a course exclusion and chooses to repeat the exclusion while at York, transfer credit will be forfeited.

Ontario College Programs

Applicants admitted to York who have completed a college program or at least one year (two semesters) of full-time study in an academic program at an accredited Ontario College of Applied Arts and Technology (CAAT) or Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning (ITAL) in Ontario or an accredited college outside of Ontario may be considered for transfer credit. The minimum requirement for transfer credit consideration is a minimum overall average of 3.00 on a 4-point scale (B/70 per cent) on all courses taken, including failed courses.

Articulation agreements with a College of Applied Arts and Technology (CAAT) or Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning (ITAL) or equivalent may result in enhanced transfer credit. For more details, visit futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/college-transfers.

Depending on the specific program completed, transfer credit will be granted and may result in the satisfaction of specified degree requirements and specific course waivers may be granted.

Students are granted the maximum possible transfer credit, however, students must meet all residency and degree requirements of their program and some transfer credit may not contribute to satisfying these requirements.

Advanced Secondary Studies and CEGEP (Quebec)

At York, "advanced secondary studies" refer to standardized qualifications or studies that offer students an opportunity to study in an academically challenging program or courses to prepare them for postsecondary studies. Programs or courses completed with specific grades or averages are eligible for transfer credit. Eligible programs or courses include: Advanced Placement (AP); the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) Diploma; the General Certificate of Education (GCE) A levels; the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma; the French Baccalaureate; and the Diplome d'études collegiale (DEC). To see the maximum amount of transfer credit awarded to each program/course, please visit: futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/advanced-secondary-cegep.

Obtention d'équivalences universitaires (crédits d'équivalence)

Les candidats admis à York qui sont titulaires de diplômes d'études postsecondaires d'établissements reconnus peuvent avoir droit à recevoir des équivalences universitaires ou des crédits d'équivalence. Pour déterminer l'admissibilité à des équivalences universitaires, il sera tenu compte du dossier complet des études postsecondaires du candidat dans un établissement reconnu. Le nombre de crédits pouvant être transférés dépend du type d'établissement fréquenté, de la nature pédagogique du programme achevé, du nombre de cours réussis, des notes obtenues et du programme auquel la personne désire s'inscrire à York. Les candidats admis à York qui n'étaient pas en règle avec leurs établissements postsecondaires antérieurs peuvent déposer une demande d'équivalences et les dossiers seront étudiés au cas par cas.

Descriptions de cours

Les étudiants qui ont complété des cours postsecondaires accrédités doivent fournir les descriptions et les plans officiels des cours, la liste détaillée de toutes les matières couvertes et de tous les manuels requis, les pratiques de notation, le nombre de semaines de fréquentation (en excluant la période d'examens), et le nombre d'heures de classe, de tutorat et de laboratoire.

L'Université York se réserve le droit d'exiger les descriptions officielles des cours et la liste détaillée de toutes les matières couvertes pour le programme admis. Pour obtenir les détails, visitez le : futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/documents/course-outline-example.

Il est recommandé que tous les étudiants remettent une description détaillée du travail postsecondaire terminé pour la majeure qu'ils envisagent afin de voir s'il est possible d'obtenir des équivalences dans le domaine de la majeure. Ces descriptions de cours doivent indiquer la période pendant laquelle l'étudiant a suivi le cours et être préparées par l'établissement reconnu ou être disponibles sur son site. Soumettez vos descriptions de cours sur MyFile (yorku.ca/myfile). Les documents qui peuvent être téléchargés directement sur le site seront clairement identifiés par un lien de téléchargement. Pour accéder à MyFile, vous devrez entrer un numéro de référence à neuf chiffres et votre date de naissance. Si vous avez du mal à télécharger vos descriptions de cours, veuillez communiquer avec le Soutien et conseil aux étudiants au 416-736-5000 pour obtenir de l'aide.

Les descriptions de cours qui ne sont pas en anglais ou en français peuvent être traduites en anglais ou en français par le candidat et soumises accompagnées des descriptions préparées par l'institution. Des traductions officielles en anglais ou en français (par un traducteur agréé) des bulletins originaux qui ne sont ni en anglais ni en français sont également requises.

Il n'est pas nécessaire de fournir une demande séparée d'équivalences universitaires. La réception du dossier complet de demande d'équivalences et l'évaluation de toutes les équivalences possibles au moment de l'admission doit se faire durant un trimestre universitaire à compter de la date d'admission à l'Université. (Ainsi, l'admission à la session d'automne et à la session d'automne/hiver doit être terminée avant la fin de la session d'automne/hiver; l'admission à la session d'hiver doit être terminée à la fin de la session d'été; l'admission à la session d'été doit être terminée à la fin de la session d'automne.)

Si un étudiant qui avait quitté York pour poursuivre ses études à une autre institution postsecondaire décide de revenir à York, il peut devra présenter une nouvelle demande d'admission et tous les crédits transférés seront réévalués. Vous pourriez aussi être en mesure de réactiver votre dossier. Visitez le registrar.yorku.ca/enrol/reactivate pour obtenir les détails.

Programmes de préparation d'un diplôme universitaire de premier cycle

Un étudiant admis à York qui a fréquenté un établissement postsecondaire agréé au Canada ou à l'extérieur du Canada et obtenu des crédits en vue de l'obtention d'un baccalauréat peut demander des équivalences. L'étude de son dossier tiendra compte des cours pour lesquels les notes obtenues sont celles normalement exigées d'un étudiant poursuivant ses études sans interruption. Les étudiants obtiennent le maximum possible de crédits d'équivalence; toutefois, puisqu'ils doivent répondre à toutes les exigences en matière de résidence et de diplomation de leur programme, les équivalences accordées pourraient ne pas toutes servir à satisfaire aux exigences d'un programme d'études donné. 

L'Université York adhère au Protocole pancanadien sur la réciprocité des crédits universitaires et entreprend de s'assurer que tous les cours suivis par un étudiant venant d'un autre établissement durant les deux premières années d'études universitaires au Canada (y compris les dernières années d'études menant à un diplôme d'études collégiales [DEC] au Québec, et les cours universitaires offerts par les collèges communautaires et les collèges universitaires en Colombie-Britannique et en Alberta) seront reconnus et feront l'objet d'une équivalence totale pour l'obtention d'un diplôme pourvu que :

  1. l'étudiant soit censé être admissible et ait reçu une offre d'admission;
  2. l'étudiant ait obtenu une note de passage aux cours qu'il a suivis et ait le niveau normalement exigé d'un étudiant poursuivant ses études sans interruption; et que
  3. les crédits obtenus soient en lien avec le programme d'études auquel l'étudiant souhaite s'inscrire, ou que les crédits puissent être comptés comme facultatifs pour ledit programme.

Remarque: Si un étudiant décide de suivre à York un cours pour lequel il avait été exempté, les crédits transférés seront perdus.

Programmes d'études collégiales en Ontario

Un étudiant admis à York qui a complété un programme du collège ou au moins un an (deux semestres) d'études à temps plein dans un programme d'un collège agréé d'arts appliqués et de technologie (CAAT) en Ontario ou dans un programme d'un institut agréé de technologie et d'enseignement supérieur (ITAL) en Ontario ou dans un collège agréé en dehors de l'Ontario peut chercher à obtenir des équivalences. Le minimum requis est une moyenne générale de B/70, soit 3 sur une échelle de 4, pour tous les cours suivis, y compris les cours où il a échoué.

Les accords avec un collège d'arts appliqués et de technologie ou un collège assimilé peuvent entraîner des équivalences plus larges.  Pour plus de détails, visitez futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/college-transfers.

Selon le programme complété, les équivalences accordées pourraient satisfaire aux exigences de diplomation et l'étudiant pourrait être exempté de certains cours.

Les étudiants obtiennent le transfert du maximum possible de crédits; toutefois, puisqu'ils doivent répondre à toutes les exigences en matière de résidence et de diplomation de leur programme, certaines équivalences pourraient ne pas satisfaire à ces exigences.

Études secondaires avancées et CEGEP (Québec)

À York, les « études secondaires avancées » se rapportent aux qualifications standardisées ou aux études qui donnent aux étudiants la chance d'étudier dans un programme ou de cours exigeants pour les préparer aux études postsecondaires. Les programmes ou les cours complétés avec des notes ou des moyennes spécifiques sont admissibles aux équivalences de crédits. Les programmes et les cours admissibles incluent : le classement dans un niveau avancé; le diplôme Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE); le certificat général d'éducation, niveaux A; le baccalauréat international et le baccalauréat français; et le diplôme d'études collégiales (DEC) au Québec. Pour vérifier le maximum de crédits pouvant être transférés pour chaque programme/cours, veuillez visiter le : futurestudents.yorku.ca/transfer/advanced-secondary-cegep.